(And 11 ways you can change them)
Content marketing (CM) has transformed the way marketers not only reach their consumers but also how they gain their trust and loyalty. But when CM tactics are abused, or neglected of the strategic attention they deserve, it can result in some cringeworthy effects regarding your bottom line. Now, prepare yourself; uncover your eyes and observe these 11 content marketing stats:
- 27 million pieces of content are shared daily (tweet this)
- 86% of B2B organisations use content marketing (tweet this)
- But only 21 % of marketers think they’re successful at measuring the ROI of their content marketing efforts (tweet this)
- 48% of marketers don’t have a documented content marketing strategy (tweet this)
- 65% of B2B marketers have not established lead nurturing. (tweet this)
- 79% of B2B marketers have not established lead scoring. (tweet this)
- 68% of B2B organizations have not identified their funnel. (tweet this)
- 62% of marketers think their organisation’s CM efforts are “ineffective” (which is an increase from last year) (tweet this)
- 42% are publishing content on a daily basis or at least once a week (tweet this)
- This leaves 74% of online consumers getting frustrated with websites when their content seems irrelevant to them. (tweet this)
- Unfortunately only 60-70% of b2b content that’s created is actually used. (tweet this)
I know, isn’t it hideous?
Don’t start running the opposite direction just yet, though! These shocking statistics regarding the ‘futility’ of CM simply proves that a lot of people haven’t quite been getting it right yet.
We’re here to change that by sharing some of the most promising ways around these embarrassing pitfalls.
What you can do:
- Document your content strategy
- Build a content team
- Create an editorial calendar
- Set a consistent publishing schedule
- Establish your content goals
- Predetermine measurements of success
- Get to know your audience
- Publish content that’s relevant to that audience
- Answer their frequently asked questions
- Repurpose content that’s doing well
- Establish lead-nurturing and scoring.
You can do all of these things with HubSpot or a similar COS (Content Optimisation System).
Get your CM up to scratch and you will see bigger and better results; here’s the proof:
- Companies that publish an average of 15 blog posts per month generate 1,200 new leads (tweet this)
- Customers who receive email newsletters typically spend 82% more (tweet this)
- 77% of buyers say they are more likely to buy from a company whose CEO uses social media (tweet this)
- Using content driven tactics saves an average of 13% in overall cost per lead (tweet this)
- Inbound marketing is the dominant marketing strategy for companies with fewer than 200 people, in fact 84% of companies with 0-25 employees use inbound marketing, compared to the 13% that still use outbound. (tweet this)
- Companies that excel at lead nurturing generate 50% more sales-ready leads at 33% lower cost. (tweet this)
It takes time and dedication to get noticeable results; you can’t just half-arse it and hope it makes a difference. A good marketing strategy needs a solid plan involving concrete goals, defined metrics of success, a thorough understanding of your audience, and social promotion and engagement. Build yourself a content team and establish your strategy and goals to begin reaping the benefits.
Here at oe:gen, we believe providing helpful content is a great, non-invasive way to attract visitors to your site. Instead of pushing your product or services onto anyone and everyone, why not let customers find you with inbound marketing?